PUMPKIN STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
6 oz. cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
2 tbsp sugar
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
16 slices French country-style bread
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, pumpkin puree, 1 tablespoon maple syrup,
cinnamon and nutmeg until fairly smooth (it’s okay if there are a few lumps).
3. Divide the pumpkin mixture across 6 pieces of bread. Place the pieces of bread on top to form
4. Preheat a nonstick griddle to 375 degrees or a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. With a
nonstick griddle, it’s not necessary to use any butter, but you may find you need to coat a
nonstick skillet with some butter or cooking spray.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and salt. Transfer to a
6. Place sandwiches in the egg batter, working with 2 at a time. Let the mixture soak into the
bread, about 1 minute per side.
7. Transfer the sandwiches to the prepared griddle or skillet and cook until the bread is golden
brown, about 3 minutes per side.
8. Transfer to the oven to keep warm, laying the French toast in a single layer on a wire rack set
over a large baking sheet.
9. Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
10. Serve with toasted pecans and maple syrup.